ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-23-2010   #1
1991ZR1

Default Anyone installed Baer 6P brakes?

Baer is having a sale on Friday and I was considering getting the 6P system for both the front and rear. The application list shows that they do not have the rears with parking brake. It says "uses OE park". I called Baer and asked about it and they said that it wouldn't work because the rotor is too thick.

I guess it's a long shot but has anyone installed these brakes and what did you do about the parking brake?

Does anyone know if there are any similar brake systems with parking brake?

Thanks for any information.
1991ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #2
RICKYRJ1

Default Re: Anyone installed Baer 6P brakes?

Look up Street Shop in Athens, Alabama they make a peice that converts the e-brake to a C5-C6 hub setup. I'm doing mine now
RICKYRJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #3
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991ZR1 View Post
Baer is having a sale on Friday and I was considering getting the 6P system for both the front and rear. The application list shows that they do not have the rears with parking brake. It says "uses OE park". I called Baer and asked about it and they said that it wouldn't work because the rotor is too thick.

I guess it's a long shot but has anyone installed these brakes and what did you do about the parking brake?

Bob did had an issue getting them to work right

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....t=Baer+install
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #4
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKYRJ1 View Post
Look up Street Shop in Athens, Alabama they make a peice that converts the e-brake to a C5-C6 hub setup. I'm doing mine now
Pics:

C6Z rear brakes mounted on C4 knuckle with parking brake.

1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #5
Scrrem

I'm guessing that this setup will not fit behind stock A-molds?

Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #6
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991ZR1 View Post

I have the fronts, they fit fine under A-molds (mine are AFS, not OEM). For the rear I used their +2 kit which has a 13" rotor and a relocating bracket for the stock caliper. That way the e-brake still works. I also used a DRM bias spring to help offset the front bias added by the 6-piston fronts.

I didn't know Baer made a rear setup with the 6P, though they said they were planning it back when it first came out.

Are you going to this upgrade for looks? Or performance?

I don't know what their black friday prices will be, but FYI I bought the front set for about $1,000. I then spend about another $900 on rotors for two-piece front and rear, with the rears being the 13" size with relocation bracket I already mentioned. With taxes, etc, I was in just about exactly $2k. You could actually get slotted/drilled rotors for less, as they are more common (list price is more, but more places like Summit sell them on discount). I had to have the plain rotors ordered.

I bought it all through Mark Stein at Motor Sport Image: http://motorsportimage.com/ They were also helpful post-sales (as were Baer) when I had problems. The kits now should be pretty problem-free and should come with banjo bolts that fit properly.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Aurora40; 11-23-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #7
Aurora40

Pictures:

Front

Rear

Former owner of #2517

Old 11-23-2010   #8
scholtmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
Pictures:

Front

Rear

Look'n good! Those rear rotors do a better job of filling up the wheel. Depending on how good Baer's Friday sale is, I might grab this same setup. Are you pleased with the performance? Did the front brakes change the brake pedal feel at all?
scholtmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #9
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by scholtmj View Post
Look'n good! Those rear rotors do a better job of filling up the wheel. Depending on how good Baer's Friday sale is, I might grab this same setup. Are you pleased with the performance? Did the front brakes change the brake pedal feel at all?
I wrote up a more complete description in HotB issue 21. As far as pleased with the performance, I was pleased with the stock setup after adding decent pads.

The pedal feel is long, but then it was never very short. No one else who's driven my car has felt the pedal was unusually long. I think it all the time now, because the pedal in my CTS is so much shorter by comparison.

If I had my money back, I would not buy the brakes again. But that's not to say they are bad, or a bad deal. The stock stuff works perfectly well. And of course now there are upgrades like the C6Z stuff for cheap, which has much larger rotors.

The Baer 6P caliper can't fit bigger than a 1.1" wide rotor. I don't know what goes on the rear, but the fronts use the stock rotor. That said, many Wilwood kits also use 1.1" rotors. It's not so much that it's small, it's just not big.
Former owner of #2517

Old 11-23-2010   #10
Aurora40

I should add, there are definitely nice things about the 6P setup. They use C5-C6 sized pads, so there is a lot of selection. They use stock rotors, so there is a lot of selection. You won't be stuck down the road with having to buy everything from Baer.

The caliper and bracket weight about the same, maybe slightly less, than the stock caliper and caliper bracket. Yet they are much larger.

The caliper has internal passages, so there is no rigid brake line running across the caliper halves, and there is only one bleed screw vs one per side. This makes bleeding easier, and it adds visual appeal (and easier cleaning).
Former owner of #2517